Monday, August 2, 2010

Blog #8 Aug 2, 2010 - Going to Transplant Camp

Dear Ones:
Ta Da! The day's arrived and I am all packed, but they haven't called me yet to say that my room's ready and to "Come on down!" Twiddle thumbs, etc.
This packing to leave home gets down to what you think is important to take: like clearing out in advance of rising water or an advancing enemy. I remember a sobering pictiure of an elderly woman fleeing the war in Bosnia, wearing a hat with veil, a fur collar piece, a dusty suit, torn hose and low heels, dragging a small suitcase down a rocky dirt road. What an utterly pathetic look of hopelessness she had on her face. I see similar vingnettes in the many homeless in our city.
In complete contrast, I sit here with my Bible, the Book of Common Prayer with Hymnal, My Upmost for His Highest, a couple books and articles, some tablets to write or draw on, some pictures of my family to pin to my bulletin board, and an outrageous greeting card that blares out the "Star Wars" theme song when opened! I have some new pajamas and slippers, some underware (all checked for holes), some shorts and shirts and footie socks, all new toiletries, and a grin as wide as they come! I'm going to Stem Cell Transplant Camp!... and I can't wait to get this show on the road.
This past week has been a daily trial to get this central line (the thingy in my chest) to work properly, so I may begin with a minor surgery to replace it. It needs to flow easily in order that the fragile stem cells are not damaged when reintroduced into my blood stream.
So, let's go!
Amy will continue the blog until my computer is fixed and I feel up to it.
Thanks for the prayers and many expressions of encouragement!
Much love,

Dick

2 comments:

  1. Prayers for you & the success a new line (thingy), the precious cells transport into your blood and success that your body accepts them!
    Much Gratitude for the donation, being received and the process available to you.
    "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11

    ReplyDelete
  2. Father Grant, I send this hymn to you. It was written by Clara M. Brooks in 1911. It's a prayer for your healing and from the Scripture Jeremiah 8:22.

    Balm in Gilead
    Is there no balm in Gilead, and no physician there,
    That people still should languish in sickness and despair?
    Is there no one to free them, no power to release?
    Yes, Jesus died to save from sin, from sickness and disease.

    Refrain:
    Yes, there is balm in Gilead, a great physician there,
    For Jesus died on Calvary our sicknesses to bear;
    Then ask in faith believing, His promises are true,
    Doubt not, but come receiving, there’s healing now for you.
    To Christ, the wondrous Healer, they came at set of sun,
    With lame and halt and withered; He healed them, every one.
    The leper proved His power—that met Him in the way;
    He healed the deaf, the dumb, the blind; He’s just the same today.
    The mighty name of Jesus has wondrous healing pow’r,
    He’ll banish your diseases—be healed this very hour!
    He suffered death to free us; our resurrected Lord
    Will send the healing stream to you when you believe His word.
    O come, receive your healing, it is the children’s bread,
    The table stands before you, with Father’s bounty spread.
    Not one shall be excluded; the promises are true;
    You may be filled, O hungry one, the table’s spread for you.

    Blessings,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete