Monday, October 25, 2010

Blog #31 10/25/10 An interruption - the Chapel remembered

Dear Family and Friends

"We interrupt this broadcast with late breaking news! Today, we learned that...." I remember that during WWII a radio program that was interrupted by these words spoken in a somber steady tone could only mean something bad had happened. Whatever lighter program we were listening to had to be delayed.

I was in the process of speaking about my test results, their implications, and future plans in light of the previous two. I am going to delay the third part a bit because I am distracted by some sad news that I received over the weekend.

On Friday, Oct 21, the Virginia Theological Seminary's chapel burned to the ground in an unexplained and fast moving fire. Amy and I are aghast at the reality that that beautiful building no longer exists. For the three years of my seminary life, every class day began in that sacred space. Every Wednesday evening we sang for our supper, seated in those choir stalls. Many a family and educational issue were lifted to the Lord there. I sought the Lord's help in dealing with teenage kids and in passing Greek and Hebrew. I'll never forget praying with one of my professors there, at noon, just before a critical Greek test. To say "I found Jesus" there would not be irony.

But the most devastating aspect of this fire lies in the date - sixteen years to the very day of the last time I was in the chapel: our middle daughter Susie's wedding. On a beautiful October afternoon in 1994, with the entire East coast ablaze in radient fall colors, Susie walked down that aisle to meet her groom.

The first of our three daughters to marry, she had asked me to officiate. I wondered if I could "marry off" one of my precious children. Could I give her away to Arthur? It was in that struggle that I came to the fullest understanding of srewardship. She was never mine or Amy's to keep and hold forever. She was always God's child and given to us to raise until she chose someone to be her mate for the rest of her life. As her priviledged parents, we were only her stewards until her wedding day. What a blessed reality! Thank you Lord for that priviledge!

Of course, the wedding did present some minor issues. How could I walk her down the aisle and then ask, "Who gives this woman to be married to this man?" and then proclaim "her mother and I do!" without sounding as if I were talking to myself? So, we had our good friend and former neighbor, Pastor Bill Graham do the initial greeting and inquiries.

Then shortly afterward, just prior to the reading of the Epistle, came a moment that became part of the seminary's wonderful history. From opposite the sacristy, mewing quietly and pleasantly, down the center between choir stalls came Baxter, the seminary cat, his collar bell jingling ever so audibly. He meandered in and stood momentarily beside Bill, looking up and around for recognition and a rewarding pat. All this provoked truly sacred amusement as everyone within reach wondered what to do. Then, after but a momentary debut, Baxter was scooped up by the acolyte and ferried out from whence he had come. At that moment all angst and tension fled, and nothing but joy and blessing prevailed.

I am sad that such a beautiful place is gone now. I am sad for all those alumni who remember it as I do, and sad for those present seminarians who came back this morning to the terrible reality that morning chapel would have to be in some new site.

But, the chapel was a building and not a life. (No one was injured in the blaze) The worship of the One true God and of His only Son Jesus can be and is done in the rudest of sites with every bit as much effectiveness. Praise God!

We do, however, have our pleasant memories. And we do have pictures of the wedding party (sans Baxter) taken in from of the altar. These will suffice.

"And now we return to our regularly scheduled program" (maybe tomorrow).

Your brother in Christ,

Dick

No comments:

Post a Comment