Saturday, October 2, 2010

Blog #27 10/ 02/ 2010 Day # 58

Dear Friends & Family:

The real day of testing was last Thursday, 9/30. In anticipation of day #60, I surrendered lots of blood and another sample of bone marrow drilled from my hip (which drilling I will address momentarily). The word is that I will get a full report on my condition in a couple of weeks...day #70. And with the confirmation that things are looking good, I won't have to repeat that keester jab for another year! Alleluia!

Speaking of which, I would like to tell you about that bone marrow biopsy procedure. It hurts like fury! Some procedures, by their very nature do. But, the other day, as we were awaiting that procedure, we could feel an unusual tension about the clinic that had everybody sort of tiptoeing about. Something had happened (unknown to us) and there was a palpable angst in the air. So, when the PA and the nurse came into the room to do the biopsy, I asked if we could begin with a prayer. This sweet young PA said enthusiastically, "We could sure use it!"

We always pray before medical procedures but sometimes don't include the practicioner. But we should! Dr. Bill Reed, president of the Christian Medical Society, urged people to always pray with and for their doctor before they undergo any surgical procedure. For one, it relieves the doctor and the patient of the presumption that the doctor is the healer. Healing is in the hands of Jesus.

Secondly, the prayer gives a peace and grace to all involved, and a sense that each has a special place in the healing process. And lastly, there is that holy resignation to the healing process that goes beyond the surgery: the element of time.

Albert Eistein once said, "God invented time so that everything doesn't happen all at once."

I am resigned to the time element of healing, but reluctantly. I'm still a long way from day #100 when most bans will be lifted...assuming that the indicators are all still positive. Nonetheless, I feel ready to tackle a whole lot which that sweet PA (younger than any of my daughters!) smiles and says, "Nope! Not yet!" In fact, she says I can't mow the grass for six months!! But, that's what we do in Florida!

The point of this babble is that each person can and should pray with their physician and bathe everything that has to do with medical procedures in prayer, acknowledging His sovereignty, His grace and peace, and His timetable. Amen!

Abiding in His love and peace, and thankful for your prayers and encouragement,

Dick

No comments:

Post a Comment