Thursday, January 20, 2011

Blog #41 Jan 20, 2011 "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" He chortled in his joy

Dear Family and friends:

For those not familiar with Lewis Caroll's Through the Looking Glass, the tale of the Jabberwocky is worth a quick read after a search on Google (just enter "Jabberwocky). The non-sense words do have enough sense to convey the story of a man warning his son of the dangers of the Jabberwocky (dragon). The son encounters the Jabberwock and slays it.  The father receives his victorious son with these words:
             "And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
                  Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
              O frabjous day!  Callooh!  Callay!
                  He chortled in his joy!"

Allow me to chortle in my joy!  I received a phone call yesterday that put me in such inexpressible joy that I could only think of these non-conventional words of expression.  Those after, "Thank you, Lord Jesus!"

First a little back ground.  For twelve years prior to our arrival in Orlando, I was rector of a small parish (St. Thomas) in a small Texas town (Wharton); we had a parish day school which, as the economy worsened, began to have serious financial difficulty, and eventually closed after 35+ yrs. It was a very difficult time in my life.  My diagnosis of multiple myeloma in 2001 caused my retirement the following year.  The school closed the year after that.

We began each day with the children, pre-K thru 8th grade trooping into chapel singing "I sing a song of the saints of God."  We offered confession of our sins, recited the Apostle's creed and the Lord's Prayer, read some Scripture, sang some songs, prayed for those with birthdays, health or family issues, and for our city and nation.  Singing another song, they trooped out and gave me a hug or a handshake at the door.

Since that last day I was with them, I have often wondered what impact that daily ritual has had on their lives.  I suppose my personal Jabberwock was the question of whether anything lasting came out of those twelve years.  Did those St. Thomas kids go on to public school and continue to begin their day with our school prayer,
                "Dear God; come with me to school and be with me in my lessons and in my play;
                 help me to be careful in my studies, obedient to my teachers, friendly and thoughtful
                 of others, and like Jesus in my words and deeds. Amen" 

Well, yesterday, out of the blue, I got a phone call from a young man who is still in Wharton and in full time ministry with his church and a couple of other smaller ones.  He is married and has four children! He said he has never forgotten the confession, the Lord's prayer, the creed, or the school prayer.  In fact, he has taught them to his children, and the youngest (four yrs old) chides him if he forgets!

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! I chortle in my joy!  Thou hast slain my Jabberwock! Come to my arms my beamish boy! 

No greater joy can come than to know that some of the seeds cast landed in fertile ground!  Thank you Jesus, for the priviledge of seeing that fruit! Forgive me, Lord, for thinking that it was all up to me to be successful. Continue that which you have planned and nurtured in your time.

Rejoice with me, my beloved!

Dick  

No comments:

Post a Comment